top of page

5 Steps to Prepare Your Pup for Meeting Their New Dog Walker

Updated: Mar 4

Dog on a walk in Atlanta

Introducing a new dog walker to your furry friend can be an exciting experience for both you and your pet, but there are some things that help make the introduction all the better. Dogs thrive on routine and familiarity, so it's essential to take the necessary steps to ensure a smooth transition and build a positive relationship between your dog and their new walker. We wanted to take the time to highlight a few that have stood out to us after working with hundreds of pets and pet owners in Atlanta to make the transition as seamless as possible.


Start with Basic Training Before Meeting Your Dog Walker

There's a good chance that you've already worked on the basics with your pet. But if you haven't, before introducing your dog to their new walker, ensure they have a solid foundation in basic obedience commands such as sit and stay. A well-trained dog is not only easier to manage on walks but also more pleasant for the walker to handle. Spend some time practicing these commands with your dog in various environments to help reinforce their obedience and responsiveness.


Have the Right Gear for Your Dog Walker

The most important to have ready for your dog walker are:

  • Collar

  • Leash

  • Harness

  • Poop bags

  • Treats

It's important that the dog is already familiar with this gear, too. It can make for a challenging or more stressful situation for the dog if the dog walker is introducing a new harness to the dog before the first walk for example.


Make sure that all gear is the right fit for the animal. There's no need for additional risk with a loose collar or poorly fitting harness.


Arrange a Meet and Greet with Your Dog Walker

Once you have the basics and all the right gear, schedule a meet and greet with the new dog walker at your home where the dog is most comfortable. Keep the initial interaction brief to prevent overwhelming your dog and allow them to gradually acclimate to the new person. Use positive reinforcement techniques such as treats and praise to create a positive association between your dog and the walker.


Observe the Interaction of Your Dog and Dog Walker

During the meet and greet, observe how your dog responds to the walker's presence. Pay attention to their body language and behavior, as this can provide valuable insights into their comfort level and compatibility with the walker. Nobody knows your dog better than you so you can be sure to share any feedback with the dog walker about what you're seeing that is normal, new, or unusual. It is fair to say that 99% of our meet and greets result in a great relationship but the other 1% can sometimes take a little time or coaxing with treats to win them over. Look for signs of excitement, curiosity, or trust, indicating that your dog is receptive to forming a bond with their new walker.


Establish Clear Communication

Effective communication is key to a successful relationship between your dog and their walker. Take the time to discuss your dog's temperament, preferences, and any specific instructions or concerns with the walker. Maybe there's a street in your neighborhood that has a loose dog sometimes and is worth avoiding. Maybe the dog has a preferred spot to do their business. It's all helpful to create the best experience for your pet and you!


Provide information about your dog's exercise needs, dietary restrictions, and any medical conditions or allergies they may have to ensure they receive the proper care and attention and nothing is assumed.


Lastly, be sure to share what your communication preferences are in terms of the updates that the dog walker will share back after each visit. As the schedule becomes more consistent the process only gets easier for everyone involved. It's truly our favorite part of the job to build a lasting relationship with both our clients and their pets.


Utilizing dogwalking services can relieve a ton of stress in your busy schedule and make sure that your pet gets the attention and exercise they deserve. By taking the time to prepare your dog and their dog walker for their first meeting and establishing clear communication and consistency in their walking routine, you can help ensure a positive and enriching experience for both your beloved pet and their new walking companion. Be sure to check out our award-winning Atlanta dogwalking services and schedule your meet and greet today!

Comments


bottom of page